HEALTH AND SAFETY
At Whiting Petroleum Corporation, we are dedicated to the health and safety of our employees, contractors and the communities where we operate.
We continually strive to improve our health, safety and environmental programs by monitoring and evaluating our safety and environmental performance. Whiting understands that integrating strong health, safety and environmental principles into our management processes and day-to-day practices greatly contributes to our success. Our combined efforts continue to show results. In fact, in 2014, our employee total recordable incident rate (TRIR) was reduced by 62% over the previous year.
SAFE WORK ENVIRONMENT
We maintain facilities, provide training and conduct operations to protect our employees, our contractors and the public. We ensure that our employees and contractors are aware of health, safety and environmental issues through training and communication. It is our expectation that safe work practices are employed and that all personnel on Whiting locations understand their rights under Whiting’s Stop Work Authority.
CONTRACTOR SAFETY MANAGEMENT
Whiting is dedicated to protecting the health and safety of all personnel performing work on its facilities and to the protection of the environment in which it conducts business. Meeting our commitment to environmental, health and safety (EH&S) excellence is a responsibility shared by everyone working on Whiting locations. Despite operational urgency or importance, work shall not be conducted at the expense of the environment, safety or health of workers or the public. In order to meet this expectation, Whiting has established a robust and proactive contractor safety management program. Elements of this program include:
- Contractor outreach and Safety Stand Down meetings
- Communication to contractors of their right to invoke Stop Work Authority without fear of retribution
- Contractor Safety Reviews and site inspections by operations and health and safety personnel
- Clearly communicating Whiting’s Key Expectations and Responsibilities for Contractors and Subcontractors
- A requirement for contractors to review and understand the Whiting Safety Orientation Video that highlights the safety requirements that Whiting expects contractors, sub-contractors and employees to follow to ensure a safe working environment. This video is available in both English and Spanish
- Whiting employs ISNetworld to evaluate our contractors’ historic safety performance and ensure their health and safety programs meet regulatory requirements. Contractor performance history is reviewed when they are brought on board with Whiting and periodically thereafter as long as the contractor continues to conduct work for Whiting. Safety performance is a significant consideration in vendor selection.
We manage our business with the goal of preventing pollution and using land and materials effectively. We take proactive steps to prevent spills, implement good housekeeping practices and conserve resources by continually monitoring and reducing waste streams and emissions.
COMMUNITY EMERGENCY RESPONSE PREPAREDNESS
Natural disasters present risks to our employees, the environment and the communities where we operate. We support groups that are well trained and prepared to respond to emergencies and natural disasters. In September 2013, Whiting donated over $100,000 after floods devastated the communities where our employees live and work throughout Colorado.
Whiting also prepares for potential incidents through rigorous emergency response training and an Incident Command System.
COMPLIANCE AND AUDITING
Whiting builds compliance programs for health, safety and environmental laws and regulations, along with internal standards by identifying the applicable requirements and putting practices in place to meet them. A central environmental database, integrated with several other Whiting systems, is the core of our compliance effort. It allows us to more adequately track and trend data, accumulate compliance documentation and provide more tools to verify compliance across the entire company.
To balance compliance efforts, Whiting has established an aggressive auditing program involving site inspections, desktop compliance reviews, verification through database tracking, reporting and legal counsel. The goal of this auditing program is to assess compliance of our operations and measure the effectiveness of our EH&S management systems.
We communicate our health, safety and environmental performance expectations with our employees, contractors and the public to ensure that our decision-making process addresses significant issues. An important aspect of this communication process is access to the Safety Data Sheets (SDS) for Whiting Products – located in the next section.
SAFETY DATA SHEETS
Crude Oil (Sour)
Crude Oil (Sour) Williston
Crude Oil (Sweet)
Crude Oil (Sweet) Williston
Natural Gas (Sour)
Natural Gal (Sweet)